Urology/lump and pain in scrotum

Hi, I am 21 years old from India. I have a lump in my scrotum on the left side and I have no idea how and when did I get that. This lump is half the size of my left testis, it is not attached to my left testis but it is beside it. I can say it is there since several years(not sure though), recently I have concentrated on this thing and have done some research online and came to know that there are people with more than two testicles and it is not a problem to have multiple testicles. So I was like thank god. I decided to go consult a doctor about this to make sure that it isn't a cancer causing lump, But I didn't. Since 2 days I am feeling some pain in that area(left side of the scrotum aka my lump's pent house) it was just for 3-4 hours. Now I am feeling the same pain and it's kinda warm. I know that I should rush to a doctor, if not I am stupid. Now I need to know, is this an emergency? or can I wait for a month to consult a doctor?. Please explain my condition clearly. FYI I am not perfect at my diet, I mean skipping meals, abnormal meal timings etc.

I can't tell you what is or is not an emergency, but I can tell you that multiple testicles are exceedingly rare so the lump is likely to be something else.  In general, if the pain becomes severe or you develop a fever, then you clearly would need some urgent treatment.  But use your best judgement!

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute