Urology/pock mark on penile shaft

Years ago I had an ingrown hair on my penis shaft that got quite bad.  When it finally resolved itself it left an unsightly dimple.  I'm very self conscious about it and it's gotten to the point that I simply must do something about it.  It is on the dorsal side about half way between the base and glans, right on the midline.  I tried to do an at home peel with a salicylic acid based wart remover.  In the end there was no effect.  Now many years ago I had the same thing on my chest and took a new, sterile syringe (I have a diabetic family member so I have access) and poked it a few times.  It scabbed up and when it healed it got pretty smooth.  I want to do the same thing here.  I understand I can't just poke it because the dorsal nerve is located there and is very important.  I can, however, get my finger underneath a fold of skin, protecting the internal structures.  I just need to know are there any crucial structures in the penis itself that would make this inadvisable, anything that could affect function or sensation?  I am currently uninsured and don't have the money to see a doctor.  I am also too embarrassed.

Until you overcome your embarrassment and can afford a physician, my sincere advice is LEAVE IT ALONE!  There are lots of things that can happen with a self imposed surgical trial on the penis and all of them are bad.  You could end up with a severe infection, scarring, impotent and with part of the penis numb.  Please trust me and leave it alone.  Nobody actually died of embarrassment. All you need to do is change you attitude about it and make up your mind to not let it bother you.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute