Urology/Post Hydrocele Scar tissue pain

Hi, I am one year post op having a hydrocele removed.  I have what my Urologist calls scar tissue pain.  The pain is not severe and is more annoying than anything else, a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10.  I pinpoint the pain at the exact spot that had the drain at the time of surgery.  My Urologist is basically telling me there is nothing that can be done about this pain short of opening me up again and attempting to remove the scar tissue but agrees he would not recommend it as it could possibly make it worse.  He also suggested shots of Cortisone to help but again advised that he would be just guessing.  I am not ready to give up looking for options at this point to reslove this pain so I am looking for any suggestions!

Unfortunately, your urologist is right.  Short of another surgery, there is no good way to get rid of pain or discomfort from scar tissue.  Since the discomfort is continuing to bother you, you have little to lose with another surgery.  I doubt that cortisone shots would help.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute