Hi Dr. Leslie, I am impressed by your profile. Thank you for considering my question. I have had a burning when I pee for a long time. I am now seeing an MD as I have started Medicare... I am 65. My doctor gave me a prescription for hydrogen peroxide internally and antibiotics. I did not take the antibiotics and will see him again soon. I am wondering if anyone has ever used hydrogen peroxide for a bladder infection by pouring hydrogen peroxide through a catheter into the bladder? Seems like it would work, but I don't want to be the first guinea pig, hehe.   
All the best,

We don't typically use hydrogen peroxide orally or in the bladder.  We will sometimes use it in the urinary drainage bag.  However, if you have burning when you pee, then you don't have a catheter and it's a moot point.  If you do have a catheter, you should consult a urologist for more information and to optimize your therapy.

An antibiotic for burning on urination is reasonable as long as a urine culture has been done and a full examination has been performed to identify any prostatitis or urinary retention.  This is best done by a urologist so I would suggest you consult one.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute