Urology/Prostate....

Question
My father recently had surgery to his prostate due to really bad inflammation.  He was urinating blood for 3 days after the surgery but everything has turned to normal.  He is now urinating a regular color, but there are a few questions that the doctors that examined him can not seem to answer directly.

During a period of 3 months he was not able to eat a normal diet.  He was able to eat breakfast really good, but after breakfast he was not able to eat anything more than that.  Could having an inflamed prostate cause my father to lose his appetite to the extreme where he literally lost about 30 pounds in a 3 month time period.  He was checked for just about everything, but everything has came back normal.  

Another thing that I am having trouble with is the fact that my father had a really bad dizzy spell a few months ago and since then he has not been able to walk.  I am not sure if it is because he is afraid or if he truly cannot walk on his own.  I know that this area is not your expertise, but there is no one available to answer this part of the question for me.  The other thing is that his right arm does seem to be more fragile than his left arm, but the interesting thing is that he is also having problems with his left leg.  I know that when people have strokes they usually have problems with a complete side of the body and not just part of one side of the body and the other.  Is there anything that you think might be going on?

Answer
Mark:

I cannot explain the 3 months of dietary issues your father had, at least not from the prostate issue.

Obviously I can't comment on the neurological problems as that is far outside my area of expertise.  He should clearly see a neurologist about those problems.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD