Urology/Retrograde Ejaculation

I'm 40 years old and noticed about a year ago that my ejaculations were dry.  It happened all of a sudden - not a gradual reduction in output.  No history of diabetes; no radiation or surgery.  Not taking any medications regularly.  A urologist suggested sudafed which has helped sometimes though not consistently and...of course...I'd prefer to not have to use it. But no one seems to know why this is happening?  Any other potential explanations or solutions??

Usually, retrograde ejaculation is caused by medications or surgery.  Without either of these, there is no specific cause that has been identified although diabetes and nerve type disorders are thought to be the most likely etiologies.  Sudafed helps a little, but for the most part we don't have a good treatment or a cure.  Unless specifically interested in creating a pregnancy, we don't offer much more in the way of treatment beyond the sudafed and similar medications.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute