Urology/Semen Production

Is it possible for men to produce semen without having testicles?  I know that sperm is produced by the testicles, but I think semen is produced by the prostate, but I'm not sure.

Is there any fluid produced in the testicles?

I thank you for your reply.

It is certainly possible and even likely to produce semen without testicles.  The contribution of the testicles, the sperm, whiel the critical ingredient, is only a small fraction of the actual volume of the fluid we call semen.  The rest are secretions from the seminal vesicles and prostate.

There is no fluid as such produced by the testicles; just enough to allow the sperm to move.  They do make hormones but these are put directly into the blood.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute