Urology/sperm cord epididymis removal

QUESTION: I will make this short and to the point. I had the epididymis removed from my left testie and during that surgery my right testie was tact to the bottom of the sack for reason unknown the right testie died when I asked about my semen count and was told no problem I could still father children but when I had a sperm count done I was told I had no sperm, with the right one gone and the left one having the epididymis remove there is no sack for the sperm to gather, the tube is still there so is there anyway to attach something to replace what the epididymis was doing, or am I just dreaming, since that has happened my sex drive has been in neutral  thanks

ANSWER: Bryan:

With the left epididymis removed, there is no place for the sperm to collect.  The tubing on the right side might be intact, but there is no place to attach the right cord to.  If the left testicle is still making a few sperm, it may be possible to collect them directly via a testis biopsy and use artificial means to create a pregnancy, but reattaching the right tubing to the left testicle is probably not a viable solution.  

To be sure, you should consult a urology expert in male infertility.

Your decreased sex drive is probably not related as this is usually due to depression or low testosterone levels and there is no evidence of either yet.  THe left testicle should be able to make sufficient testosterone and it's easy enough to check with a blood test.

QUESTION: is there any possible way to graft something to act as a collection station so to speak? I know you don't have a lot of information to go by. next time I see my doctor I will ask. thanks again

What you suggest may not currently be possible.  You need something of an epididymis to collectg the initial sperm from the testis.  Without that, there is no place to attach any collection sac to.  You need to check with a urologist who specializes in male infertility.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute