Urology/Testicle Shrunk

I have recently gotten out of an infection in my salivary glands and lymphs, which consisted in high fever, swelling of these and no saliva secretion. 3 days after I realized I was I started feeling pain on my right testicle (the day before I had gotten checked, and I was perscripted antibiotics, they said it was not parotiditis), which made me very suspicious of parotiditis. I went to a private hospital, asked again to get checked and they explain parotids weren't swollen, and sent me to get an ultrasound of my testicle, which results showed it was a little bit swollen but they attributed it to the infection and said the antibiotics will solve it. That was true, everything became normal. (That was 2 weeks ago). Suddenly after the infection went away and the swelling disappeared the same testicle that was swollen shrunk. I feel no discomfort but it's quite weird and I'm worried.

I'm 19 years old, never had any other problem on my testicles.

It sounds like you had a testicle infection which was treated with antibiotics and now has shrunk.  Unfortunately, there is no treatment for a shrunken testicle as it is due to scar tissue which is permanent.  At least the other testicle is normal.  Your future sex life and fertility should not be affected.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute