Urology/Venous Leakage

Question
Dr. Leslie, I am a 67 yr old male in good health. In the past, I have lost my erections when changing position. It seems in a more vertical position I maintain blood flow both in and out. After several ultrasound tests, it was deemed I have good blood flow in but venous leakage out possibly due to athrosclerious. I have tried  all the recommended means avaliable except a vaccum pump to no success. I noticed in a article published in a European Journal that a small sample of men with this problem where successfully treated with an invasive procedure involving a baloon catheter. I wondered if this is considered an approved procedure and where it maybe done in the US, if so? Thank You for taking the time to respond!

Answer
Tom:

First, try the vacuum system.  It typically works reasonably well in men with venous leak.

I have not been able to find any journal articles on use of balloon catheters for venous leakage.  It sounds implausible to me as venous leakage is not cause by blockage that would be amenable to balloon therapy.  Certainly, it is not an approved treatment and is not currently performed in the US.

If you can find the reference, please forward it to me so I can review it.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD