Urology/Venous Leakage

Dr. Leslie, I am a 67 yr old male in good health. In the past, I have lost my erections when changing position. It seems in a more vertical position I maintain blood flow both in and out. After several ultrasound tests, it was deemed I have good blood flow in but venous leakage out possibly due to athrosclerious. I have tried  all the recommended means avaliable except a vaccum pump to no success. I noticed in a article published in a European Journal that a small sample of men with this problem where successfully treated with an invasive procedure involving a baloon catheter. I wondered if this is considered an approved procedure and where it maybe done in the US, if so? Thank You for taking the time to respond!

First, try the vacuum system.  It typically works reasonably well in men with venous leak.

I have not been able to find any journal articles on use of balloon catheters for venous leakage.  It sounds implausible to me as venous leakage is not cause by blockage that would be amenable to balloon therapy.  Certainly, it is not an approved treatment and is not currently performed in the US.

If you can find the reference, please forward it to me so I can review it.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute