You are here:

Urology/Yeast Infection?


I am a teenage boy who, about three months ago, received a purple bruise on my penis for grabbing it too hard. It took about three weeks to go away and now there is hyper-skin pigmentation where the bruise once was. A doctor told me that I had epididymitis about six days after I received the bruise, so I took antibiotics. After the anitbiotics worked, though, I noticed a burning sensation in the head and sides of my pe is and on the undersides and sides of my testicles. The doctor said it was a yeast infection due to the antibiotics, so he prescribed Lotrimin cream, for 2 times a day for two weeks. I did it about once a day for around a month, and after that I applied about every other day because the pain was not going down. I skipped applying for about a month, and over the last week I have been applying twice a day. After about three months of applying this jock itch cream, the pain has not gone away. Is this a yeast infection? If so, what should I do? Also, sometimes my penis gets small and the inner part hardens without erecting, and I have been constipated for a few days. I see a faint red around the base of my penis and around the bottom of the head, my penis tip burns, my testicles sometimes feel sore, and I see red spots around the shaft of my penis. I also experience a burning sensation when urinating. The jock itch cream relieves my discomfort for about twelve hours, but then it comes back, and this has not improved significantly since the summer. I am sorry for the length of this, but I am really scared because it is hard to talk to my parents about it, and I want to be as thorough as possible. I can't figure out the cause for my stiffening penis on the internet. I am also worried about developing prostate cancer. Thank you for taking the time to address my many issues.


I can't make a diagnosis from here based solely on the information provided.  You may or may not have a yeast infection.  You should recheck with your local physician and possibly consider a consultation with urology.  The experts on skin problems of the genitals are the dermatologists as urologists are mostly surgeons; so if the skin problems continue, consider seeing a dermatologist.

You are certainly too young to be worrying about prostate cancer which is unrelated to all you've described.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.