Urology/one bad kidney

You can have one bad kidney with normal blood test, but is it possible to have one bad kidney with normal urine test ?

Houshang, all you need is one normal kidney.  This will provide proper kidney function to remove the appropriate waste products from you body.  In such a case, the kidney function and urinalysis will be normal.  Such an individual will live a normal life span as long as their solitary kidney remains healthy.  The only precautions, would be to avoid high risk activities that could potentially injury that kidney.  Such instances would include contact sports, horse back riding, motorcycles, etc.  Good luck and have a happy and healthy 2014.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS