Urology/one bad kidney

Question
You can have one bad kidney with normal blood test, but is it possible to have one bad kidney with normal urine test ?

Answer
Houshang, all you need is one normal kidney.  This will provide proper kidney function to remove the appropriate waste products from you body.  In such a case, the kidney function and urinalysis will be normal.  Such an individual will live a normal life span as long as their solitary kidney remains healthy.  The only precautions, would be to avoid high risk activities that could potentially injury that kidney.  Such instances would include contact sports, horse back riding, motorcycles, etc.  Good luck and have a happy and healthy 2014.

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.