Urology/Bumps on Penis

I have bumps on the head of my penis. They are about 1-3 mm in length and some are irregularly shaped. I have had them for about a 4 days now. They do not itch or hurt. They are normal skin colored. They do not appear to be getting smaller or bigger (at this point). I masturbate 1-2 times a day for about 40 minutes at at time (I've withheld from doing so for the last couple days). I am feeling fine. I also had protected sex with someone 2 weeks ago. I'm afraid it is herpes, but I was wondering what you thought.

It's really difficult to make any kind of diagnosis based on just a picture and we are specifically prohibited from making any individual diagnoses as this is the responsibility of your local physician.  In general, a bunch of skin colored bumps that are painless could be veneral warts which are usually due to a virus.  Herpes would have very small, round bumps that would be painful so this is not likely to be herpes.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute