Urology/dark spot on penis head

dark zones
dark zones  
Hello, I'm a bit worried about my health. Recently a noticed I developed some kind of a dark spot/zone on the head of my penis. I thought it could be irritation or something like that, but I noticed I could smell it a bit. I never could so I guess it might be connected. I'm 20.

Jake, it is difficult to make this type of diagnosis over the internet without the ability to do a physical examination & lab tests.  Common causes would be a bacterial, yeast or fungal infection, contact dermatitis, or a primary dermatologic condition (such a psoriasis, eczema, lichen planus, lichen sclerosis,  etc.). Infections involving the penile glans occur almost exclusively in uncircumcised men & are more common in diabetics.   They respond to proper genital hygiene and topical antibacterial creams.  If refractory, circumcison is sometimes necessary for cure.  Yeast and fungal infection usually respond to a 10 day course of medication such as lotrimin, lamasil or nystatin cream.  Contact dermatoses are much more difficult to track down as it usually infers that you penis is touching something it is allergic to.  This can be a substance on your hands such as chemicals used at work, soaps, detergents used for under clothes, condoms, feminine hygiene sprays your partner might use, etc.  The treatment is eliminating the cause and using at least 1% hydrocortisone or another steroid cream as needed.  If one is uncircumcised, this bring in other potential factors.  If you are not circumcised, let me know and I'll give you more information.  If your problem is refractory, consultation with a urologist or dermatologist is suggested.  Good luck.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS