Urology/Erections, size loss?

Question
I have understood that if you don't get regular erections it can affect your penis and you can even lose size or that low-testosterone levels can affect size. Is this correct?

How often should you then get erections. I'm not sure if I get proper night- or morning erections but I masturbate 2-3 times a week. Are these couple of 5min masturbation sessions enough to preserve size and penis health?

How low should you testosterone levels be for that to affect to your penis size and penis health?

Could you explain if I have misunderstood something?

- Thank you

Answer
Stan:

You have misunderstood alot.  First, there is no absolute testosterone level below which the penis will shrink.  Castrate levels are thought to be less than 25 mg/dl but even these do not necessarily mean there will be any shrinkage.  In most studies, normal testosterone levels are at least 300 or more but there is alot of variation based on time of day and the laboratory.

Likewise, there are no studies indicating what level of sexual function might be needed to maintain penile health.  Fortunately, during sleep, the penis does develop nocturnal erections which seems to be enough to maintain activity so there is no absolute need for additional erections just for maintenance.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD