Urology/Erections, size loss?

I have understood that if you don't get regular erections it can affect your penis and you can even lose size or that low-testosterone levels can affect size. Is this correct?

How often should you then get erections. I'm not sure if I get proper night- or morning erections but I masturbate 2-3 times a week. Are these couple of 5min masturbation sessions enough to preserve size and penis health?

How low should you testosterone levels be for that to affect to your penis size and penis health?

Could you explain if I have misunderstood something?

- Thank you

You have misunderstood alot.  First, there is no absolute testosterone level below which the penis will shrink.  Castrate levels are thought to be less than 25 mg/dl but even these do not necessarily mean there will be any shrinkage.  In most studies, normal testosterone levels are at least 300 or more but there is alot of variation based on time of day and the laboratory.

Likewise, there are no studies indicating what level of sexual function might be needed to maintain penile health.  Fortunately, during sleep, the penis does develop nocturnal erections which seems to be enough to maintain activity so there is no absolute need for additional erections just for maintenance.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute