Urology/Flu infection

This is a rather bizarre question, and one mostly intended for other Men and MDs. I recently came down with the flu, last Tuesday to be exact, and I have been on Tamiflu for 5 days. I seem to be getting over the flu well and I have made sure to rest, drink fluids, and take my meds. I'm 24 year old male.

I wanted to post in here to see if anyone else may have had this experience while being sick with the Flu virus. I hope this isn't an inappropriate post, however I have noticed a minor trace of blood in my semen. My partner and I were a bit worried, but I wanted to check and see if this could be a possible side effect of the virus. This is the first time in my life I have ever noticed any brown discoloration to my semen. In what I have read, this seems to be fairly common in males and will subside. Keep in mind, I have never seen blood in my urine. I have also read some bits and pieces about how blood in semen can relate to viruses and infections, but I think most of the time its related to an STD or something along those lines, which I am certain I don't have.

I just want to know if this will go away once the flu is totally out of my system, because it seemed to start once I got the flu and I am a bit alarmed. If anyone has any information please do let me know.

ANSWER: Blood in the semen is a little scary but almost always harmless.  It does not need treatment and will almost always heal itself in time.  It does not appear to be related to flu, viruses or STD's.  It's a little like a nosebleed which can bleed alot but is usually harmless.

QUESTION: Dr. Leslie,

I thank you for answering my question. The reason I associatted this with the flu or sickness in general is because this is the first time I have ever seen this happen. It seemed to correlate in some way to me being sick. Is there no connection to infections (viral or bacterial), medications, etc? Should I consult a urologist. Like I said, I am young and a very active. I am a cyclist and distance runner and have been for years, so I was just bit alarmed as to why this was happening now. Thanks for your help.

There is no known connection between viral or bacterial infections and hematospermia.  I would not recommend consulting a urologist unless the problem appears to be unusually persistent or there are some other symptoms.  Your cycling may predispose you this problem as the bicycle seat tends to irritate the prostate and seminal vesicles.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute