Urology/Hyperthyroidism and erection?

Question
Hi! I have hypothyroidism diagnosed and I'm very sure that lately I've been eating too much of those medicines (thyroid hormones) and I think that I can see now some signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
I found on the internet that hyperthyroidism can cause erectile problems and low libido and these have been my symptoms for over an month now after I increased the dosage.
So my question is this: Do my erections and libido come back after I get the dosage right? Or can these too high thyroid hormone-levels do some permanent damage to my penis? Can these too high thyroid hormone-levels do any permanent damage to my erectile function and/or libido?

Thank you for your response!

Answer
Jack:

While it is possible for hyperthyroid problems to cause ED and there is some evidence for this, it is relatively uncommon for thyroid to be the only involved factor.  I have yet to see a single clear case in my entire career!  Low libido is usually from low testosterone (male hromone) levels or depression and not thyroid issues.  It is unlikelyu that high thyroid levels would cause any permanent damage to the erectile function and there is no known connection with libido.

You should talk to your physician about the ED and low libido issues or consult a local urologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD