Urology/large urine output

I have unusually large urine output. I am never thirsty and don't consume excessive amount of fluid.
If it is caused by kidney decease and it's inability to reabsorb the filtered water, then I must be seriously dehydrated and I am not.

There is no way that you can urinate more fluid consistently than you ingest.  Not scientifically possible.  I suggest you start by investigating just how much urine you actually make.  For 1 day, 24 hours, get a urinal and measure the volume of each urination and record it as well as the time.  See what the total is in 24 hours.  Most people will do around 1300 mL and we often recommend that this be increased in some individuals up to around 2000 mL.  If you are doing much more than 2500 mL, then your urine volume is clearly high and may need further investigation.  You can also record the actual amount of fluid that you drink.  This makes the voiding diary more cumbersome, but can be helpful.  You may be consuming more fluid than you think.

If the urinary volume is truly high, check with your physician to determine the cause.  Kidney disease does not typically cause high urinary output.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute