Urology/Multiple Ejaculations

What prevents a man from having multiple ejaculations? Why does the penis become limp after ejaculation?  Is this occurrence something more mental than physical?

I thank you for your reply.

Kenneth, it is most common for a man to be able to have only 1-2 orgasms and ejaculations at a session.  However, there is great individual variation and some men are able to achieve multiple ejaculations at a session.  Most women, however, are able to achieve multiple orgasms. I know of nothing that can change this for an individual.  Normally, with sexual stimulation, a chemical reaction occurs in the penis that allows the blood to flow more easily into the erectile bodies (corpora cavernosa) producing erection.  In most men, with ejaculation and orgasm, these chemicals are used up and this, plus a decrease in sexual stimulation, results in detumescence as the blood is released from the erectile bodies into the circulation.   This is a physical reaction on the part of the body and not a mental one.  Good luck.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS