Urology/priapism

Question
QUESTION: i am emailing someone called thom lobe from Chicago that does stem cells, I am also emailing stemcellsofamerica that do fetal stem cells these are supposed to be more effective, do you know anything about these 2 places? I don't want a prosthesis the thought of it makes me want to end my life this is a horrible situation, could the stem cells repair my penis and get it back to normal, the scar tissue could be turned back to erectile tissue with stem cells surley

ANSWER: James:

I've answered several of these questions before.  I know nothing of the sources you've identified.  While stem cells might be able to help some patients with ED, after prolonged priapism and scarring, they are unlikely to work as the scar tissue is likely to interfere.  And they are still investigational meaning there is insufficient evidence to this point of their benefit and safety so you are on your own.

Your real issue is your emotional health and attitude.  If the stem cells don't work or aren't viable, your impression of a prosthesis is a bit extreme even without knowing much about it.  If your attitude was more accepting, this could be a viable alternative for you which it currently isn't.  Good luck.

QUESTION: a prosthesis at my age, I know its doesn't help sensation an u get a pump to pump ur penis up, will my penis be reduced in length and girth? the stem cells could help the erectile tissue grow back

Answer
James:

It is possible but unlikely that stem cells would cause erectile tissue to grow back and replace the scarring, but anything is possible.

Final results after an implant are approximately what the penis did previously in size.  However, with extensive scarring, the length and girth may be less than before.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD