QUESTION: i am emailing someone called thom lobe from Chicago that does stem cells, I am also emailing stemcellsofamerica that do fetal stem cells these are supposed to be more effective, do you know anything about these 2 places? I don't want a prosthesis the thought of it makes me want to end my life this is a horrible situation, could the stem cells repair my penis and get it back to normal, the scar tissue could be turned back to erectile tissue with stem cells surley

ANSWER: James:

I've answered several of these questions before.  I know nothing of the sources you've identified.  While stem cells might be able to help some patients with ED, after prolonged priapism and scarring, they are unlikely to work as the scar tissue is likely to interfere.  And they are still investigational meaning there is insufficient evidence to this point of their benefit and safety so you are on your own.

Your real issue is your emotional health and attitude.  If the stem cells don't work or aren't viable, your impression of a prosthesis is a bit extreme even without knowing much about it.  If your attitude was more accepting, this could be a viable alternative for you which it currently isn't.  Good luck.

QUESTION: a prosthesis at my age, I know its doesn't help sensation an u get a pump to pump ur penis up, will my penis be reduced in length and girth? the stem cells could help the erectile tissue grow back

It is possible but unlikely that stem cells would cause erectile tissue to grow back and replace the scarring, but anything is possible.

Final results after an implant are approximately what the penis did previously in size.  However, with extensive scarring, the length and girth may be less than before.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute