How would a doctor diagnose a yeast infection in men? Would it be observable with a cystoscope?

James, the overwhelming majority of yeast infections in men occur on the head and foreskin of the penis.  They are much more common in uncircumcised than circumcised men.  Predisposing factors include poor genital hygiene, sex with an infected partner, diabetes, overuse of antibiotics, steroid use and immunosuppression.  

Typically the skin will be red & swollen, itching & soreness are common, and there may be a foul discharge from under the foreskin.  The diagnosis is made by examine a swab of the area under the microscope and/or by culture.  It can be treated with Nystatin cream for a week or with one tablet of 150 mom of Diflucan (fluconazole).  

Yeast infection can occur in the urinary tract or even invade into the blood stream but these are much less common.  The diagnosis is made by culture of the urine (or blood if septicemia is suspected).  Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.


Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.


I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.