Urology/Yeast

Question
How would a doctor diagnose a yeast infection in men? Would it be observable with a cystoscope?

Answer
James, the overwhelming majority of yeast infections in men occur on the head and foreskin of the penis.  They are much more common in uncircumcised than circumcised men.  Predisposing factors include poor genital hygiene, sex with an infected partner, diabetes, overuse of antibiotics, steroid use and immunosuppression.  

Typically the skin will be red & swollen, itching & soreness are common, and there may be a foul discharge from under the foreskin.  The diagnosis is made by examine a swab of the area under the microscope and/or by culture.  It can be treated with Nystatin cream for a week or with one tablet of 150 mom of Diflucan (fluconazole).  

Yeast infection can occur in the urinary tract or even invade into the blood stream but these are much less common.  The diagnosis is made by culture of the urine (or blood if septicemia is suspected).  Good luck.

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.