Urology/Balanitis Concerns

I was prescribed clotrimazole for balanatis about ten days ago. The redness and burning has mostly gone away, but the white discharge underneath the glans is still there. Should this be a cause for concern? Should I go back and get an antibiotic prescribed instead?
Other concerns are that it seems as if the glans is dry, not at all the way it was before the balanitis and it seems as if precum or lubrication when aroused from the glans is also not being secreted when I am aroused as before. Will things return to normal after balanitis? Or should I be worried?

Thank You for your Time

An antibiotic may or may not be necessary.  Clotrimazole is primarily for yeast and it works quite well.  Secondary infections with bacteria are not uncommon, but unless the whitish discharge clearly shows another infection, you could do alot of harm by starting an antibiotic at this point as it would almost certainly increase the risk of the yeast infection increasing.  The best thing to do is keep the area clean with soap and water, use the clotrimazole and ask your physician about the white discharge.

We can't guarantee that things will return to normal after the infection is properly treated, but that would typically be expected.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute