I have been getting weakness/numbness in my arms/hands for some  time. I notice this happens more often when I got a full bladder. I also got arthritis in my neck which causes neck pain and stiffness. I also had a slipped disk 3 years ago in my Lumbar area. When this happened, I had the same weakness in my hands/arms then, also in my legs. I could barely walk or use my arms, they both felt lifeless and It felt as if I was going to pass out very often. These symptoms lasted for over 3 months.  

When I had the slippped disk 3 years ago, that seemed to affect my bladder, as well as it is now. I should have had an MRI scan of my neck and Lumbar area 2 weeks ago but felt very dizzy at the time so had to cancel the appointment.

Do you think my neck and lower back is connected in any way to the bladder, If not, do you know why this happens?

Thank you

Neck and lower back issues can certainly affect bladder functiondue to their direct or indirect effect on nerves, but it is remely unusual for a bladder issue to cause weakness or numbness in the upper extremities.  I cannot explain such effects from a full bladder.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute