Urology/bladder

Question
I have a congenital problem, where my bladder has very little muscle texture,,,making complete emptying impossible, in fact, without the help of Bethanechol 25MG and Tamsulosin HCL 0.4MG, I can release so small an amount, that I get infections from urine retension; I have had two procedures to widen the opening at the Bladder/Urethra junction, I believe they are called TURPS...but am resigned to the medication for life....I have no problem with the Bethanechol, for it has no side effects,,,but the Flomax really causes me a lot of fatigue...do you think I could get by with just the Bethanechol,,,or is the Flomax a must also.I take 3 Beths.....1 morning ,1 afternoon and 1 evening and 2 Flomax..1 morning and 1 at night...thank you...Nick

Answer
Nick:

This is really a question for your local urologist, but I would bet that after 2 TURPs you are getting very little benefit from the tamsulosin.  You can always stop it and see what happens.  You should be on Crede (pushing in on the suprapubic area to improve emptying) and/or intermittent catheterization to make sure the bladder gets completely empty at least some of the time.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD