Urology/Blood in Semen

I'm a young 23 year old male. For the past few months, every single time I ejaculate there is blood in my semen. I also find blood in my urine sometimes as well. From my understanding, it is common for older people to have prostate problems, and hematospermia, but I can't find any information on this for younger people. Everywhere I read says it isn't anything to worry about. But if it's been happening literally every time I ejaculate for the past few months, it doesn't seem very normal to me. What could be wrong with me? Does this sound like a serious problem? Could this be a sign of cancer or something?

Hematospermia is also common in younger men.  It's alot like a nosebleed where it appears scary but is usually harmless.  In most cases, it is self limiting.  If this does not resolve, you'll need to check with a physician or consult a urologist.  I've never seen hematospermia like yours that was due to a cancer.  A check of your blood coagulation status might be reasonable.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute