Urology/Burning Sensation

Hello. I've been having an issue for a few years now. I get a random burn in the tip of my penis after urinating or ejaculating. Some times its just there, sometimes it radiates through the shaft, and sometimes I can feel it all the way to my lower abdomen. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen after ejaculation more frequently then after urination. If it's flaring up really bad, I can usually look in my urethra, and there are Nerd sized white balls that have a power-like consistency.

I have had many test including rigid cytoscopy, urine checked for cancer, checked for STDs, ultrasound of the bladder, and a prostate exam. I have had several treatments of antibiotics which helped slightly initially, but returned to normally before the treatment was over. I've been put on FloMax also, which didn't make much difference.

Out of the 6 different urologist I've had, most of them tell me everything checks out ok and it's nothing major, which doesn't help my issue. I've thought about trying to find the top urology center in the state (Cleveland Clinic?) and going there to see iif they could help. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

The Cleveland Clinic has a top urology service, but be prepared to go through all of the testing you've already had over again.  They are notorious for repeating all the tests even if done perfectly well.

Your symptoms are suggestive of prostatitis regardless of any other consdieration.  Often, this takes quite a while to treat.  Irritation at the prostate and bladder neck is sometimes perceived as discomfort at the tip of the penis.

For now, try avoiding caffeine and sitting in a hot tub twice a day for 10 minutes.  It might help.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute