You are here:

Urology/DIscomfort in the penis/pelvic region



I recently got in a new relationship and it has lead to more frequent sexual activities. Now two weeks ago, after a week-end being intimate with my girlfriend, I started feeling discomfort in the pelvic region and the penis. At the same time, I felt a burning sensation in the penis after sexual encounter and urinating. At some point, I realized I was also leaking urine during the day.

In the days prior to that particular week-end, I had been exercising the pelvic muscle with Kegel exercises. I did this in order to help with my erection dysfunction. A complication that came after the use of anti-depressant, which unfortunately never resolved, even after going off the pills.

I also use Scialis for the dysfunction. 5mg/day

So the reason I mention the Kegels is that I did feel some uncomfort after working the pelvis.

I decided to see my doctor and he diagnosed a urethal inflammation. I was given anti-biotics in case of an infection and was asked to not have sexual intercourse for a bit.

Days later, the burning sensation is much less apparent but the pressure or uncomfortable feeling in the pelvic region sustain. The pressure goes into the penis as well. Sometimes it goes to a point where I feel like I would either need to urinate or to orgasm and kinda "release the pressure" if that makes any sense.

Also, during and after the "burning sensation" episode, I have had a bad case of premature ejaculation. Like many, I have had PE before but it is, or was under control for a long time and haven't had such a bad case in years...

Now I would like you opinion on this as I have been inactive sexually for several days and I am concerned about my prostate and of course, my future health and sexual health.

I am thinking that my case is much more serious than just a urethal inflammation.

Your helps is greatly needed and appreciated.


I suspect you may have prostatitis.  If so, this would better explain your symptoms as stated than urethritis.

You may want to get an opinion from a urologist to be sure.  If confirmed, treatment usually is a longer course of antibiotics, sitting in a hot tub twice a day, anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and avoidance of irritating foods like caffeine.  

If the premature ejaculation persists, this can be treated by your physician.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.