Hi Dr. Leslie. I'm 25 years old. I have read the forum and people asking about venous leakage e.g "if I can keep erection for a 5 minutes does this mean that I have venous leak?". Well I have some erectile difficulties after I stopped my ssri-medicine, and I have considered whether I might have venous leakage or not. I havent been with a women for a long time but when I masturbate this doesnt usually take me more than 1-5minutes. So if I masturbate and ejaculate in 1-5 minutes can I still have venous leakage? In another words is it possible that the veins might hold the blood for 1-5minutes but if I tried to extend my masturbation time to a 5-10min, then there could be a leak? Hopefully this writing made some sense. Thank you.

First, what is the difference if you have venous leak or not since treatment for ED with or without venous leak is the same?  Many patients and the general public have made this an issue when it really isn't medically.

The fact that your erections and ejaculation occur more or less normally in 1-5 minutes suggests possible premature ejaculation but no erection problem.

Either you have venous leak and/or ED or you don't.  Extending the time may clarify the issue but will not "create" a venous leak if it's not already there.

If this becomes a problem or if the erection rigidity or if the rapid ejaculation are or become problems, check with your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute