Urology/ed...

Question
Hi Dr. Leslie. I'm 25 years old. I have read the forum and people asking about venous leakage e.g "if I can keep erection for a 5 minutes does this mean that I have venous leak?". Well I have some erectile difficulties after I stopped my ssri-medicine, and I have considered whether I might have venous leakage or not. I havent been with a women for a long time but when I masturbate this doesnt usually take me more than 1-5minutes. So if I masturbate and ejaculate in 1-5 minutes can I still have venous leakage? In another words is it possible that the veins might hold the blood for 1-5minutes but if I tried to extend my masturbation time to a 5-10min, then there could be a leak? Hopefully this writing made some sense. Thank you.

Answer
John:

First, what is the difference if you have venous leak or not since treatment for ED with or without venous leak is the same?  Many patients and the general public have made this an issue when it really isn't medically.

The fact that your erections and ejaculation occur more or less normally in 1-5 minutes suggests possible premature ejaculation but no erection problem.

Either you have venous leak and/or ED or you don't.  Extending the time may clarify the issue but will not "create" a venous leak if it's not already there.

If this becomes a problem or if the erection rigidity or if the rapid ejaculation are or become problems, check with your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD