Urology/Erectile function

Underlying factors:Type II diabetes

6 months ago my primary care physician did blood work and diaganosed me with low testosterone due to my sudden disinterest in anything, which is bizarre for me. I was fine sexually up until 8 months ago. My levels were low 300s, which is just below the low normal. He put me on testosterone replacement (Axiron gel) 1 pump each armpit daily. My levels are now at 401 with free test 12.6. This is not super high, but in the normal or low normal range. He also added cialis to the mix for me to try which doesn't seem to matter that much either way. I have sexual desire and I am able to get erections. The only problem, is that my erections while full, are weak at the base of the penis and seem to have the ability to move from side to side where they should be able to have strength in keeping everything stable and centered. It is almost as though there is some sort of damage to the ligaments at the base of the penis. Another observation is that my penis actually seems longer which also made me wonder about some sort of damage to the ligaments at the base of the penis. I would appreciate any insight. Thank you!

It is highly unlikely there is actually any damage to the tissues or ligaments. You have no history of a major injury.  Testosterone often helps with interest but not with erection rigidity.  You may want to consult a urologist to see what is going on.

Damage to the ligaments in the base of the penis would cause pain and affect stability of the erection.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute