Urology/male cyscosopy with balloon

After catheder removal I urinate for several hours then I freeze up with spasms and can't pass urine. A reinsertion of the catheder was necessary. How long will it be before I return to normal urinary funcion?

It's impossible to predict return to normal urination from the limited information provided.  For example, why was the cystoscopy done and what were the findings?  What treatment, if any, are you on besides the catheter?  Spasms of the bladder don't usually cause retention; they tend to cause involuntary leakage so something else is going on.  Most of the time, we use some prostate medications to help the bladder empty and this is usually enough.  You may want to ask your local urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute