Urology/male cyscosopy with balloon

Question
After catheder removal I urinate for several hours then I freeze up with spasms and can't pass urine. A reinsertion of the catheder was necessary. How long will it be before I return to normal urinary funcion?

Answer
Irwin:

It's impossible to predict return to normal urination from the limited information provided.  For example, why was the cystoscopy done and what were the findings?  What treatment, if any, are you on besides the catheter?  Spasms of the bladder don't usually cause retention; they tend to cause involuntary leakage so something else is going on.  Most of the time, we use some prostate medications to help the bladder empty and this is usually enough.  You may want to ask your local urologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD