Urology/Male hormones test

Question
Hello Dr Lesley, I am feeling that I was cheated by the laboratory that took the blood sample to calculate the total testosterone level, the free testosterone, the fsh level, the lh level, the prolactine level and the SHBG level.I feel cheated because they took the blood sample 13:00 in the afternoon.I asked them twice , if I should have come in morning hours (07:00 - 10:00) and they said it does not matter when it comes to these hormones .Do you agree that there is no problem to have these hormones checked at this time instead of early in the morning.will the time affect the results?I complained to them and they told that I can repeat the check ify doctor recommends to do it early in the morning free of charge.So whatever you recommend is what I will do, because you are the only doctor that I have access to...I am waiting for your answer with some anxiety I can tell... Thank you so much for helping us!What you do is fantastic and you should be really proud of it! With all my appreciation Jim

Answer
Jim:

No, I do not agree that the timing doesn't matter.  While it is not essential to take the sample at the optimal time, it certainly helps to take a morning sample when testosterone levels are typically highest.  But that doesn't mean an afternoon test is "cheating"!  See what the numbers are and then talk to your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD