Urology/Numb Penis

Hi, for over a year now (it started in February 2011) I lost all kind of sensation in the penis. It all started a bit before that actually, about two or three months before when the top of my penis was tingling. Then in February, I realized something was wrong. I lost all sensation in my penis. I saw a urologist and three different doctors, many blood tests were made and yet they told me it was nothing. Nothing? For over a year now, I live with this problem. It feels like I have nothing down there and I have erections once in a while when I used to have numerous erections many times a day. When I have intercourse with my girlfriend and I climax (which takes me everything since I feel absolutely nothing, I climax because of the constant rubbing) it feels like my erections stopped at the same time. It all feels weird and right after climaxing, my penis leaks sperm for a while and is pretty much like dead (literally speaking, don't feel it and flat) I can't feel cold or warm there either. I am desperate and I am lucky to have an understanding gf but believe me, not having feeling there really changes your life. I try to keep myself happy and I am a pretty busy person so all is good but not having any pleasure down there really changes a lot of things.  (I am 30 years old and I never smoked or took drugs and drink rarely and never had any major health issues either)

This sounds like a neurological issue.  There are no known urological problems can cause numbness in the penis, but this is known to happen in various medical conditions like diabetes.  There may also be some psychological issues and/or effects from this.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute