Urology/Penile Reconstruction Surgery

I had a penile enlargement procedure performed by a plastic surgeon. After the surgery was unsuccessful, the plastic surgeon refused to operate on me. The Belladerm that they used as the tissue for the enlargement procedure has formed a couple of nodules near the head of the penis where the incison was made and the majority of the belladerm tissue has moved from the shaft to the pubic area.

I am on medicare and a medicare supplemental plan and I have been looking around, but I am unable to find a urologist who is able to perform plastic reconstruction surgery or a urologist who can work with a plastic surgeon who is able to do the surgery and accepts medicare.

My relationship with my wife has almost been ruined because of the pain and suffering she sees me going through everyday. I really need to find someone to perform this surgery.Can you please help me find a urologist as desribed above that can perform this reconstruction surgery who accepts medicare?

Thank You For Your Time,

The leading center for penile reconstructive surgery is in Norfolk VA under the direction of Dr. Gerald Jordan.  Dr. Tom Lue at the University of California San Francisco is another noted expert.  You can check with them for referrals closer to your location or you can check nearby university urology programs to see if they have anyone on staff who has completed a penile reconstruction fellowship.  Obviously, I cannot determine who will or will not accept Medicare as that depends on each individual practice.

Important Point:  We do not recommend penile enlargement surgery in part because of the high risk of problems like this.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute