Urology/prostate

Question
A friend sent me info on a laser procedure for
prostate
    called transurethral resection of the prostate  (TURP)
Green Light laser.  (quote)      "Creating a new standard of
care for treating enlarged prostate"
      Can you tell me anything about this?
         Thanks    Dick2vmiy4

Answer
Dick:

The procedure uses a laser to vaporize the tissue as opposed to the traditional TURP where the tissue is cut with an electricity based knife.  The traditional TURP can be used on almost any size or shape prostate and gives good tissue samples for pathological examination, but it tends to have more bleeding and may require a few days in the hospital after the surgery.  The laser TURP or "Greenlight Laser TURP" has the advantage of less bleeding and less time in the hospital, but it is slower and may irritate the surrounding tissue more.  It cannot be done on every prostate especially if there is any unusual shapes and there is also no tissue available for pathology to review.  

The decision on which one of these is best for any individual depends on the specifics of each case, the experience of the surgeon and the availability of the equipment.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD