You are here:

Urology/recurring pain in testicle


A few years ago I fell from a ladder, about five feet down and landed on my side. I got checked at the ER and was ok. But since then, my right testicle occasionally begins to ache. It tends to happen when it's unsupported, and cupping my hand to hold it or shifting position so it's resting on something will usually relieve it. My physician says I probably caused some injury to the epididymus and there's likely nothing more I can do about it.

Does this sound right to you? Is there no more permanent fix?


First, you should consult a urologist.  The fact that the pain changes with position suggests that there is a problem with support.  A testicular ultrasound is the best way to get a look at it.  Since we don't have a confirmed diagnosis as to the exact cause of your pain, it's not possible to predict how or if it can be repaired.  A surgical exploration might be the only way and if that fails it may require removal of the testicle to control the discomfort.  These options should be discussed with a urologist.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.