Urology/recurring pain in testicle

Question
A few years ago I fell from a ladder, about five feet down and landed on my side. I got checked at the ER and was ok. But since then, my right testicle occasionally begins to ache. It tends to happen when it's unsupported, and cupping my hand to hold it or shifting position so it's resting on something will usually relieve it. My physician says I probably caused some injury to the epididymus and there's likely nothing more I can do about it.

Does this sound right to you? Is there no more permanent fix?

Answer
Michael:

First, you should consult a urologist.  The fact that the pain changes with position suggests that there is a problem with support.  A testicular ultrasound is the best way to get a look at it.  Since we don't have a confirmed diagnosis as to the exact cause of your pain, it's not possible to predict how or if it can be repaired.  A surgical exploration might be the only way and if that fails it may require removal of the testicle to control the discomfort.  These options should be discussed with a urologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD