Urology/Testicle injuries

My husband was hit in his testicles and instead of the normal reaction of wincing in pain etc he became angry and almost violent.  No one got hurt but he does not remember much of what happened after getting hit which would include all of about five minutes.  Is this common? And why would he reacted in such a way?  The only thing I could think of is a mental reaction due to trauma in his past or childhood.  Is there anything we can do to make sure this does not happen again or should he see a specialist?

I can't explain your husband's strange reaction to his injury.  It certainly isn't common nor can I shed any light on who may be able to help.  A mental health professional might be one place to start since his reaction was anger rather than pain and there might be some childhood trauma that is responsible.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute