Urology/Testicular Ache after treatment

QUESTION: About a month and a half ago after having unprotected sex with a girl I have known for some time, but was not exclusively seeing, I began to experience symptoms about two days after.

I promptly went to see my doctor and described that I was having symptoms of a UTI.  None of the symptoms were severe, but they included slight discomfort on urination and urinating frequently.  Also some discomfort in my testicle.  

I told my doctor of my sexual encounter and he said it sounded more like prostatitis than a STD.  So he gave me 5 days of Cipro 2x 500mg a day.

Just about all of my symptoms cleared up after 5 days, but the next week some symptoms began to reappear and I went back.  My symptoms mostly evolved around some discomfort in my testicles.  He put me on another round of antibiotics.  I am not sure exactly which kind.  I asked again about the possibility of a STD and he assured me that the symptoms that were presented were not in line with a STD infection.  He said there may be residual prostate infection.
So I took the next 5 days of antibiotics and felt wonderful afterwards.  I felt good for about a week after that until the discomfort in my testicles returned.  

SO what I am currently experiencing now is:

My testicles feel full/ heavy.  They don't hurt but they are uncomfortable. Made worse by sitting.  It actually doesn't feel bad at all when I am standing. Laying down sometimes makes it better. Masturbating will relieve the pressure for a short period of time. Physical exercise does not make it worse, if anything it makes it feel better. Also, being dehydrated makes it worse.  

I have no other symptoms besides this ache, but I am obviously concerned.  I am in my 20's and have never had any problems with my testicles before.  

How long should I wait to go to the urologist? Do I give this a chance to resolve itself? What does this sound like?

ANSWER: David:
A vague feeling of heaviness or fullness with no outward signs of problems will be very difficult to resolve.  Check with your primary care physician first.  If he can't help, ask him to order a scrotal ultrasound and then see the urologist.  I suspect you may still have some prostatitis which was not completely resolved.

QUESTION: Just one more follow-up question.

Of course when I started to feel symptoms again I went online and researched every possible condition I could have, and I have made myself very anxious over the whole situation.

My primary told me that should symptoms return that I go to a urologist so I will be calling today for the name of one inside my network. I plan on going this week.

So my last questions are:

In your opinion have I been correctly diagnosed and just not fully treated, or should I be demanding/requesting other tests be done? STD tests or others? (aside from the testicular ultrasound).
If I have not been correctly diagnosed what does this sound like? Is there any research or remedies I can do to care for it until I have the chance to see my doctor.

Thank you in advance for the help and also for the speedy response to my original question.  I appreciate it greatly.

No physician likes to have his patients "demand" various tests because they "read it on the Internet" or from similar sources.  A testicular ultrasound may be helpful, but that will be up to the urologist.

If you indeed have prostatitis, then your treatment was not adequate and a longer course of therapy will most likely be offered to you.  I dont' think STD tests would help.

Remedies include hot sitz baths, avoidance of caffeine and alcohol, and possibly some anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen.  You can do these things without waiting for your physician and they won't hurt anything and might help.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute