Urology/Testosterone Therapy

Question
Iíve been involved in testosterone therapy for about 3yrs. My Dr. prescribes human chorionic gonadotropin along with the testosterone injections. Is the hcg necessary? If so, why. If not, why not?

Answer
Eric:

We do not typically give HCG with testosterone injections.  Testosterone is produced by the testicle in response to the presence of LH (luteinizing hormone) produced by the pituitary.  This is very similar to HCG.  If the testicles responde to HCG and produce testosterone, then you don't need the supplemental testosterone.  If they don't respond adequately to the HCG, then you need the testosterone shots and it seems pointless to take both.  I do not understant why your physician has prescribed both.  You may want to ask him or get an opinion from an endocrinologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD