Urology/Testosterone Therapy

Iíve been involved in testosterone therapy for about 3yrs. My Dr. prescribes human chorionic gonadotropin along with the testosterone injections. Is the hcg necessary? If so, why. If not, why not?

We do not typically give HCG with testosterone injections.  Testosterone is produced by the testicle in response to the presence of LH (luteinizing hormone) produced by the pituitary.  This is very similar to HCG.  If the testicles responde to HCG and produce testosterone, then you don't need the supplemental testosterone.  If they don't respond adequately to the HCG, then you need the testosterone shots and it seems pointless to take both.  I do not understant why your physician has prescribed both.  You may want to ask him or get an opinion from an endocrinologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute