Urology/Ureteric block

Question
I am 65 yrs of age male. I had  a stone at right pelviureteric  junction with mild hydronephrosis 5 yrs back. It was removed by laser lithotripsy.Again there was recurrence of stone in the same location 1 yr back and again removed by laser lithotripsy.
I month back due to some urinary problem (urge incontinence,pain in the right loin  for 2 consecutve days relieved by antispasmodic) I did USG of right kidney,ureter ,bladder. It showed  a  ? stone of 10mm size at right ureterovescical  junction but  x-ray showed nothing.I did IVU and it showed a block at the lower end of right ureter with dilatation of ureter,hydroneprosis and perfusion of rt.kidney only after 2 hrs.
Urologist did uteroscopy but found no stone or stricture and gave a D.J. stent. As cause of this block could not be ascertained ,whether there will be again block in the same site?
What might be the cause of this block?

Answer
Shekhar:

If there is no stone or stricture, the most common cause of a block in this area would be functional.  This means that although the passage is actually open, there is a disruption of the neuromuscular function at this point.  Unfortunately, there is no good simple treatment for this.  If things continue to worsen or appear to cause renal damage, it may become necessary to consider a surgical excision of this damaged portion of the ureter if possible.

You should also inquire about a 24 hour urine test for kidney stone prevention testing and treatment to minimize you're future stone risk.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD