I live in the UK and am a 21 years old male. I have had pain when urinating (burning + peeing needle type) for 8+ years and usually the is a drop or 2 of blood or blood stained drops when I finish. I have a very weak urine flow and try to limit how often I go to to the toilet as pain gets unbearable and sometimes is too painful to go especially if I have to go a second or 3rd time in a day.

I am a very very shy and quiet guy so never got it checked out. In Oct 2011 I visited my GP to see what the problem was.  She seemed surprised and I don't think she took it serious when I told her ive been having pain for so long.  She said I looked normal down below and said I was probably allergic to the urine temperature which caused me the pain and it should go away on its own in a couple of weeks!.  She told me to give a urine sample and left it at that.

I then made another appointment with another doctor at the same gp clinic and he, I assume just followed through with what the previous doctor put on the records.  After successive appointments and negative blood and urine results he finally referred me in August 2012 to a urologist. I assume he put me on a non urgent referral as I got an appointment with the urologist in Nov 2012. The urologist put me through for a kidney scan (for lower back pain after urinating. scan came out Ok) and cystoscopy. The flexible cystoscopy could not be carried out as the urologist doing the procedure  found that I have a urethral stricture. I am now to undergo a urethrotomy under general anaesthetic and cytoscopy during the procedure.

As im a very quite and shy person who is not very good at asking questions is there anything I should be asking doctors or is there any other problems I should be aware of.

Sorry for the long post,  but I thought it might help if I fully explain

Thanks alot.


If you had not been so shy and reticent, the problem might have been discovered and corrected years earlier.

You will want to ask about the length and location of the stricture.  In particular, you should ask the urologist about what kind of followup he recommends as strictures often tend to come back.  If this happens to you, what kind of symptoms will it cause and what treatment would he recommend at that point.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.