You are here:



I had an embolization done for a left vericocele in 1997, they are unsure what type of implants they used. I need to have MRI's done for nerve issues I am having. Do you know of anyway the coils can be removed and replaced or just removed all together?
I've had one MRI done but I had radiating dull pain around my left side. I'd like to have these coils removed. Is it possible?


It is not usually possible to remove the coils, but it depends on what kind of impants were used and exactly where they ended up.  Sometimes they just use microspheres or "glue" but most often it's a metallic stent. If it's absolutely essential to get the MRI done, then it may be possible to surgically remove the implants.  This is not something I've ever been asked to do and not a surgery I've ever specifically done.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.