Urology/Vericocele

Question
I had an embolization done for a left vericocele in 1997, they are unsure what type of implants they used. I need to have MRI's done for nerve issues I am having. Do you know of anyway the coils can be removed and replaced or just removed all together?
I've had one MRI done but I had radiating dull pain around my left side. I'd like to have these coils removed. Is it possible?

Answer
Jason:

It is not usually possible to remove the coils, but it depends on what kind of impants were used and exactly where they ended up.  Sometimes they just use microspheres or "glue" but most often it's a metallic stent. If it's absolutely essential to get the MRI done, then it may be possible to surgically remove the implants.  This is not something I've ever been asked to do and not a surgery I've ever specifically done.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD