Urology/Biking and E.D.

Question
Hi Dr. Leslie,

Approximately two years ago I took up biking to help me lose weight and stay fit. I've been a fairly regular biker since - averaging twice weekly. I'm 40 yrs old.
about one year ago i began to notice a diminishing of my sexual desire, and a diminished erection. REcently it has gotten very severe. Almost no desire and very poor erections. I got tested for testosterone and was diagnosed with very low testosterone [200].
There are no obvious reasons for this. I was checked out by my urologist and also had a testicle ultrasound and everything looks ok. I read up on how biking can affect ED and I'm very fearful that this may be what happened to me. I'm very tolerant of pain so I've ignored the numbness I feel after biking and the soreness, but I'm almost certain that this was the cause of my troubles.
My question is whether it's reversible? Can this be reversed naturally, through surgery or not at all?
Please advise. I'm very nervous about this.
Thank you

Answer
Mark:

Any damage from long biking is unlikely to affect testosterone levels but it may account for some of the ED.  There is no specific remedy for this although avoiding biking and using Viagra type medications can help with the ED.  There is no surgery that will repair damaged nerves from pressure from the bike seat.  You should talk to a urologist about this.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD