I had low grade bladder cancer two years ago. I have had a cystoscopy for every 3 months since from my urologist and they have all been negative. The last cystoscopy was two month ago. My PCP had me get  a CT scan this week because I have been having some microscopic blood in my urine. The CT scan said I had  irregularity of the bladder. Does that mean that my cancer is back or can an irregularity of the bladder be something else besides cancer. My last cystoscopy showed that I had some scar tissue at the site of my previous bladder tumor.

An irregularity of the bladder wall can indicate a cancer or may only be some thickened folds, scar tissue or incomplete emptying of the bladder.  Don't get too concerned as long as the cystoscopies are negative.  Make sure your urologist knows these results.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute