Urology/bladder

Question
I had low grade bladder cancer two years ago. I have had a cystoscopy for every 3 months since from my urologist and they have all been negative. The last cystoscopy was two month ago. My PCP had me get  a CT scan this week because I have been having some microscopic blood in my urine. The CT scan said I had  irregularity of the bladder. Does that mean that my cancer is back or can an irregularity of the bladder be something else besides cancer. My last cystoscopy showed that I had some scar tissue at the site of my previous bladder tumor.

Answer
Cathy:

An irregularity of the bladder wall can indicate a cancer or may only be some thickened folds, scar tissue or incomplete emptying of the bladder.  Don't get too concerned as long as the cystoscopies are negative.  Make sure your urologist knows these results.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD