Hi there, I was wondering, how does one lower their Blood urine nitrogen (BUN) level? Is there a certain kind of supplement that a person could take, & if so,  is there  a specific kind of supplement that u would recommend? or is there a certain food, or overall diet that would help bring down a person's BUN level? hope u can answer this for me.
         Thank you

BUN is a marker for kidney function and hydration status.  If you became dehydrated or developed kidney failure, then your BUN would increase.  Drinking enough water to make at least 1.5 liters of urine a day is the best way to keep BUN low.  There is no specific supplement or drug that will do this.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute