I just had hydrocele repair on 3-6-13. I have never had any type of trama or injury in that area.
I am recovering nicely very little pain or swelling.
I havent found a reason that makes sense to why this occured.
I am a runner runabout 30 miles a week since i was 36 yrs old. I am 68 yrs. i was told that
Running without support would not cause hydrocele.  That would be the only reason that i could think of that could have caused this condition that i could find. No one agrees with my opinion. So iam still looking for a logical answer to why this occured.  Do you have an opinion?

Hydroceles are thought to be due to minor trauma to the testicle that caused some inflammation, swelling, release of tissue fluid, and expansion of the hydrocele so the running with or without support could certainly have contributed.  In some cases, we never find a suitable answer or cause.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute