Urology/hypotonic urinary bladder.

i am suffering from hypo tonic urinary bladder which failed to respond with BOO&turp iam practicing intermittent self catheterisation 5 times a day. i can pass about 150-200ml of urine on standing position when the bladder is full and almost evacuate by abdominal pressure which iam preserving for social events / journeys. The life style is quite restricted and productivity levels dropped. are there any chances of even partial recovary after several months of ICSC . Are there any new drugs in the near horizon . can interstem a viable option

To my knowledge, there are no new drugs bein investigated for hypotonic bladder problems.  The issue is not the drug; it's the underlying damage done to the bladder where muscle tissue is often replaced by scar tissue which fails to allow for adequate emptying.

I don't see why your productivity or life style is that much affected.  Many, many people have worse bladder function than you do and have a normal lifestyle.

Recovery of bladder muscle tone is problematic.  There may be some improvement over time or not.  It depends on the nature and severity of the bladder muscle injury and other medical factors.  Talk to your urologist about these issues.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute