Urology/hypotonic urinary bladder.

Question
i am suffering from hypo tonic urinary bladder which failed to respond with BOO&turp iam practicing intermittent self catheterisation 5 times a day. i can pass about 150-200ml of urine on standing position when the bladder is full and almost evacuate by abdominal pressure which iam preserving for social events / journeys. The life style is quite restricted and productivity levels dropped. are there any chances of even partial recovary after several months of ICSC . Are there any new drugs in the near horizon . can interstem a viable option

Answer
Vendat:

To my knowledge, there are no new drugs bein investigated for hypotonic bladder problems.  The issue is not the drug; it's the underlying damage done to the bladder where muscle tissue is often replaced by scar tissue which fails to allow for adequate emptying.

I don't see why your productivity or life style is that much affected.  Many, many people have worse bladder function than you do and have a normal lifestyle.

Recovery of bladder muscle tone is problematic.  There may be some improvement over time or not.  It depends on the nature and severity of the bladder muscle injury and other medical factors.  Talk to your urologist about these issues.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD