You are here:

Urology/Kidney stone


Sir,in 2011 i did the operation left kidney stone of size 14mm but in jan 2013 a 6mm stone is in right kidney and now showing in right distal ureteric calculus with mild hydroureteronephrosis.what will i do?


You will need to consult a urologist.  The distal stone on the right may be small enough to pass. If so, an alpha blocker medication like tamsulosin can help facilitate this.  If it's too large to pass, then a surgery such as ureteroscopy or lithotripsy (ESWL) might be needed.

The fact that you've had one operation already and now have more stones suggests that you should ask one of your physicians to order a 24 hour urine test for you to look into what type of treatment, meds or dietary changes will be needed to reduce your future kidney stone production.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.