Urology/Large amount of blood when I ejaculate

I have a great deal of blood when I ejaculate.  This started about 1-1/2 years ago when I would have wet dreams.  I spent 27 months in prison and the doctors told me the the blood I was seeing was a result of radiation treatment I receive 15 years ago--due to testicular cancer treatment.  I do not have a right testicle.  I've had a vasectomy.  I am 44 years old.  Since I've been released from prison I've reestablished regular sexual activity with my wife (about every other day) and no the blood went from just a little pink (as a result of wet dreams 1-2 a month) to full dark blood as if I cut myself.  I've also had a persistent pain on the right side of my penis (not on the penis itself but to the right of the base)that does not go away.  In prison, I saw 3 different doctors who all told me not to worry about it.  This is getting worse, not better.  I do not have health insurance and I don't want to die.

Blood in the semen is known as hematospermia.  While a little scary, it's almost always harmless.  Your prior radiation may have increased your risk for this a little depending on where the radiation was focused on the body.  Check with a urologist if this is persistent beyond a few months.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute