Urology/made intermittent cathather into a indwelling cathather

Dear Dr Leslie, Hello again(you gave me advice before). Dr Leslie, you may remember I have diabetes, and my diabetes has caused some sort of dysfunction(urinary frequency). You advised me to make a urine diary and then send it to you. I decided not to, because my current urologist is privy to that(I have created urine diaries for him in the past). He wants me to have a cystoscope, and determine if I may have a enlarged prostate or some sort of cyst that may contribute to the sensation to urinate all the time. I have so far declined.

What I have done is taken the intermittent cathater and rig it so it could stay inside of me. So the intermittent cathather basically now works like a indwelling cathather, because I have rig it(duck tape) so it stays inside of me 24/7. It has solved my problems. I can sleep now. I ordered special shorts with a urine bag atttached to a shield(where my penis is put into)and the cahather tube extends out of my penis(also entends out of the shield) into the urine bag attached to the shorts. So the problem is solved.

Dr Leslie, I wanted to get your opinion(because as you know I have no health insurance.Cost to see doctors). What are the potential dangers of doing this? Could I do damage to myself in some way? As you know this is the soft tip cathaters(liberator medical). Is their any nerve/uretha/bladder damage that I can do to myself by forcing a intermittent cathather to act like a indwelling cahtather? I take the cathather out every day and sterilize it(I have hundreds of new cathaters, but I decide just to sterlize one). I look forward to your reply. Thank you. Elbert Vaughn

I can't recommend that you continue doing what you are doing.  Using duct tape to keep a catheter in place that wasn't designed for this is risky.  It could lead to stone formation, infections, bleeding and actual physical damage to the prostate and/or bladder.  

Rather than trying to resterilize one catheter, it's far better to use a new one.

Please check with a local urologist for advice on this problem.  A proper Foley catheter only costs a few dollars and will last a month.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute