Urology/made intermittent cathather into a indwelling cathather

Question
Dear Dr Leslie, Hello again(you gave me advice before). Dr Leslie, you may remember I have diabetes, and my diabetes has caused some sort of dysfunction(urinary frequency). You advised me to make a urine diary and then send it to you. I decided not to, because my current urologist is privy to that(I have created urine diaries for him in the past). He wants me to have a cystoscope, and determine if I may have a enlarged prostate or some sort of cyst that may contribute to the sensation to urinate all the time. I have so far declined.

What I have done is taken the intermittent cathater and rig it so it could stay inside of me. So the intermittent cathather basically now works like a indwelling cathather, because I have rig it(duck tape) so it stays inside of me 24/7. It has solved my problems. I can sleep now. I ordered special shorts with a urine bag atttached to a shield(where my penis is put into)and the cahather tube extends out of my penis(also entends out of the shield) into the urine bag attached to the shorts. So the problem is solved.

Dr Leslie, I wanted to get your opinion(because as you know I have no health insurance.Cost to see doctors). What are the potential dangers of doing this? Could I do damage to myself in some way? As you know this is the soft tip cathaters(liberator medical). Is their any nerve/uretha/bladder damage that I can do to myself by forcing a intermittent cathather to act like a indwelling cahtather? I take the cathather out every day and sterilize it(I have hundreds of new cathaters, but I decide just to sterlize one). I look forward to your reply. Thank you. Elbert Vaughn

Answer
Elbert:

I can't recommend that you continue doing what you are doing.  Using duct tape to keep a catheter in place that wasn't designed for this is risky.  It could lead to stone formation, infections, bleeding and actual physical damage to the prostate and/or bladder.  

Rather than trying to resterilize one catheter, it's far better to use a new one.

Please check with a local urologist for advice on this problem.  A proper Foley catheter only costs a few dollars and will last a month.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD