Urology/overflow incontinence

Question
I'm a 61 yr old male with a slightly enlarged prostate, the urologist said it was normal size for my age. Lately I notice dribbling, not just after urination, but other times as well, just a few drops. I read that "Overflow incontinence is a form of urinary incontinence, characterized by the involuntary release of urine from an overly full urinary bladder, often in the absence of any urge to urinate."

If the bladder has urine that needs to be released, why isn't there the urge to urinate?  Thanks

Answer
My sub-specialty practice does not include BPH treatment or neurogenic bladder dysfunction evaluation-treatment, although I do treat male incontinence secondary to sphincter damage from prostate cancer treatment with surgery to place artificial sphincters.  However, I am familiar with this condition in general.  When there is an involuntary loss of urine, it can come from the bladder, or it can come from the urethra.  After urination, if there is any urine retained in the urethra (which courses under the scrotum and through the prostate, this can later dribble out without an associated bladder sensation.  Also, men with certain neurological conditions may have a sensory loss involving their bladder or have involuntary bladder neck contractions.  Overflow incontinence is a bad thing.  In general, this happens with severe obstruction or a bladder that does not contract.  The "good news" is that if this is suspected, it can be evaluated with zero risks.  Immediately after urination, an ultrasound probe can be placed over the bladder, and a dedicated machine will calculate the residual urine.  This test is totally non invasive, painless, and takes less than 60 seconds.  This is a common procedure done in the offices of Urologists.  If the residual is low, this would suggest no overflow incontinence.  

Urology

Joel Gelman, M.D.